My Dad has a huge array of lavenders in our garden, which instantly made up my mind to make lavender cupcakes when I was thinking of something to bake. I had the recipe for them in this gorgeous cookbook I got as a birthday present last year. It is full of ideas for simple, elegant, savoury, the unusual and the usual suspects of cupcakes.
- 6 lavender flowers, plus extra small sprigs to decorate
- 125g (4oz) lightly salted butter, softened
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar
- finely grated rind of 1/2 orange
- 2 eggs
- 150g (5oz) self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
and for Icing:
- 150g (5oz) icing sugar
- 4-5 teaspoons of orange juice
- a few drops of lilac food colouring
To make these lavender cupcakes just mix all the ingredients together; divide the mixture between 12 cupcake cases lining a muffin tray; and bake in a 180 degree preheated oven for roughly 20 minutes; once cooked and cooled, make up the icing and cover the cupcakes, using the remaining lavender flowers to decorate. Simple.