Inspired by a post by Melbourne Mumma about the things she is grateful for, I decided to do my own gratefulness list.
1) Friends – I tend not to overshare my every life detail with all of them, but I take comfort in the idea, that should I need them, they’ll be there. I also find happiness in being there for them; I’m proud of my loyalty to them, the family I chose for myself.
2) Family – the God-given family are also pretty special. We’re a little flawed as a unit but there’s just so much love (I’m including the extended family in this as well). As I write, it has just started to pour down outside. I’ve just ran out to the garden to help my mother get some washing in and as we race back inside we find my father has locked the door on us. It’s things like that I love, just a simple, fun moment with the family.
3) The boyfriend – he is just so full of love for me, and I am so grateful that he puts up with my mood swings and my little neuroses. I think that we’re so good together; we have such a giggle and after two and a half years together, we are better than ever, it’s like we’re still in the “honeymoon” period so to speak. I hope I don’t jinx us but I do hope we make it last.
4) Pretty things – I’m like a magpie. It sounds a little materialistic but I take pleasure in finding something I know I’ll love forever. Things such as vintage lanterns I saw in a home furnishings shop today; the Moroccan style lamp shade my mother bought; the handmade corner unit I saw being made on TV; my jewellery stands shaped like women; and the ring I found at a vintage style market held at a gorgeously vintage style pub, just to name a few. Basically I am grateful that pretty things are made so I can simply admire them.
5) Home – I’m grateful for having a roof over my head, with a bed to sleep in and food to eat. There is a scene in Benjamin Button where all he and his girlfriend have in their home is a mattress. I like to think I’d be just as happy as they are in the film, if all I had was a rundown house and mattress. I can easily imagine me with either the boyfriend, friends or family just happily living life on a mattress. When it comes down to it, these are the most important things in life; shelter, food and people who love you.
6) Life – at the risk of sprinkling too much cheese over your computer screens, I’m grateful for life; that I exist in this world and get to witness the history it is making in my short time here. I’m grateful that I get the chance to make mistakes and learn from them. I’m grateful that I get to enjoy all the things I mentioned above, and much more. life is good.
And there you have it, a list of some things I am grateful for. I’d love to hear what you guys are most grateful for…